Create Restore Point Desktop Shortcut

huzzar 13:18 20 Nov 2004

I put a shortcut on my desktop to enable me to create a Restore Point in System Restore which I use before I install new software etc. I made this Restore point Icon from instructions I got from a PC Advisor Magazine some time ago. It is a VBScript script file.

Trouble is I don't know how it was done. Does anyone have the Script please.

Gongoozler 15:09 20 Nov 2004

If you can give me a clue to what issue PCA this was in, I'll have a look, otherwise this claims to do a similar job:-
click here

huzzar 17:20 20 Nov 2004

Gongoozler - I created the Restore point on the 22nd of June 2003 so it must have come from a PCAdvisor magazine that was out then, probably the Aug 2003 edition.

I have had a look at the link you suggested but none of them are the same, all this Restore point does is as it says, creates a new restore point in your System Restore without you having to go into the program at all, it simply does it for you.

I would appreciate it if you will have a look in your back copies for me as this is a great little desktop item for WinXP and everyone should have one I think.

smudge101 18:23 20 Nov 2004

In XP Pro you can right click the desktop and select new shortcut and set the path to %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Works for me!

MAJ 18:28 20 Nov 2004

'Force System Restore Point
set Restore = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore")

if (Restore.CreateRestorePoint("Forced Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 then
MsgBox "Restore point created"

else
MsgBox "Create Restore Point failed!"

end if

MAJ 18:49 20 Nov 2004

'Force System Restore Point

set Restore = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore")

if (Restore.CreateRestorePoint("Forced Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 then

MsgBox "Restore point created"

else

MsgBox "Create Restore Point failed!"

end if

Gongoozler 19:12 20 Nov 2004

Well spotted MAJ. I searched through the same issue and failed to find it, but then the Wife always says I look for things with my eyes closed ;-))

MAJ 19:14 20 Nov 2004

I nearly missed it myself, Gongoozler, I thought it would be in the Helpline section, but it's in the XP Advisor section on page 123.

huzzar 10:02 21 Nov 2004

Thats great everyone, thanks a million.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?