create a new folder shortcut...

homer1309 20:43 29 Apr 2003

hi y'all. my problem is how does one create a shortcut to NEW FOLDER so as i only have to press a button or two on the keyboard. i need to create about 400 new folders and dont want to have to use the mouse, all that right clicking gives me finger ache. i am using xp pro. cheers peeps.

Pesala 20:57 29 Apr 2003

400 Directories! Who do you work for, the Post Office?

In Windows ME, Alter F, Enter, Enter in Explorer will create a new folder with the focus ready to type the new folder's name. That would work fine for a few dozen new folders, but I wouldn't like to do 400.

A keyboard macro program could be used with replaceable parameters. Are the names going to be sequential?

Just a few pointers. I hope this helps.

homer1309 21:05 29 Apr 2003

folders are going to be my cd collection back ups. i am moving house and have lost aload already in another move. not again though. so i need to give each folder a different name. i was rather hopeing that i could right click go to create new shortcut but i get lost from there onwards...

MAJ 21:08 29 Apr 2003

Try this, homer1309. click here

homer1309 04:45 30 Apr 2003

thanks maj, nearly there with this one but i am running xp pro & when i change the ? w which is the underlined letter then it opens up open with command prompt as this also has the underlined w and it appears first in the menu.. it makes no difference what i change it only opens up something different then.......

homer1309 04:59 30 Apr 2003

maj, <p>update alert. if i place 2 w's where the ? is it now moves down to the (new) menu but does not highlight the next part, ie. move over to the new what bit. just stays highlighting new!!!

MAJ 08:22 30 Apr 2003

As you're running XP Pro, homer1309, it will be a little different because of the Documents and Settings thing, try this:

Set WSHShell=WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WSHShell.Run "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER /e, /root, C:\Documents and Settings\Homer\Desktop"

WScript.Sleep 500

WSHShell.SendKeys "%(FWF)"

That works for me, but it leaves the "Desktop" Folder open, but you can press Alt + F4 to close that.

homer1309 21:41 30 Apr 2003

MAJ,....and they said it would never work.great it works. would be even better if i could close folder afterwards but i guess you cant have everything can you? unless anyone knows better. so i guess have not quite reached the 'resolved' point yet..... cheers for help so far, it's 90% better than it was.

MAJ 22:59 30 Apr 2003

I'm glad it's working for you, homer1309, but yes that folder being open is a nuisance. Maybe someone who is good at coding can figure a way to close that "C:\Documents and Settings\Homer\Desktop" folder when the first part of the code (above) is complete. There must be a piece of code that can close an open folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone