Create boots disk without floopy drive

Terry Brown 22:02 26 Jul 2007

I have an early version of XP (SP1), and I need to format and reload the system. For some reason the CD will not autoboot and the last time (on another machine), I used the 6 floppy disks (boot system)& the CD, however on this machine I have no floppy drive, and the system recovery CD I made does not work. I have tried creating the floppy boot system by copying the files from all 6 floppies to a CD,(no Good) and also by using by coping to a thumb drive, but that does not show as a boot device.
Help please
Terry

recap 22:10 26 Jul 2007

I thhink you will need to go in to the BIOS and change the boot sequence?

Terry Brown 22:19 26 Jul 2007

I have changed the boot sequence to boot from CD, however the CD autoboot is faulty, hence the need for floppy disks, and also as the machine is pre-loaded with a factory version (SP2), and my full version is SP1, I need to create a clean boot, which means using a set of floppy disks or equivalent.
Terry

skidzy 22:24 26 Jul 2007

Is the system actually working at the moment Terry ?

If so try,building your boot disc click here

Are you sure its not the cd/dvd drive thats the problem ?

skidzy 22:26 26 Jul 2007

Maybe the autoplay fix can help click here

Terry Brown 08:41 27 Jul 2007

Skidzy

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately the system has completely crashed, I can get into the dos screen, and access the directory, but not windows, which is why I need to do a complete re-install.
Terry

skidzy 15:31 27 Jul 2007

Terry do you have any more info please.

This may well be a hardware issue,do you have another cd drive to hand also check all the cables inside the tower.

I take it you have tried the bios boot order,making cd first boot device.

Will the system boot into windows at all,or is the pc dead ?

Pamy 15:45 27 Jul 2007

can you put a floppy drive in from another machine or go to a computer fair and buy one for £3.

Terry Brown 16:37 28 Jul 2007

Skidsy, the problem was,I think a trogan /virus that has corrupted my system, I know quite a bit about windows, but I need to re-install /repair it, but without a floppy drive, I cannot load boot files to re-enable the system.

Pamy
Unfortunately the system does not have a floppy drive (ide) slot, I am curreny looking for a USB floppy drive to borrow (if possible)
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?