Create an Association ("E"Mail files)

Bingalau 18:55 20 May 2005

On my newish computer I am getting a message when I try to open a file, it reads as follows "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.....Create an association in the Folder Options control panel" I have tried to work out how to do this but so far have failed. so I have come to the fount of all knowledge. this helproom. (computers are the only thing my wife knows nothing about. She knows everything else of course). Seriously Guys and Gals can you keep it simple please to allow an old geeezer to get the hang of it. Thanks in advance again....Bingalau

Bingalau 20:21 20 May 2005

Up a bit?

beeuuem 20:54 20 May 2005

To change which program starts when you open a file

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, on the View menu, click Folder Options.

Click the File Types tab.
In the list of file types, click the one you want to change.

Click Edit.

In Actions, click Open.

Click Edit.

In Application used to perform action, enter the program you want to use to open files that have this extension, and then click OK.
Note
The settings for selected file types are shown in File type details.

Bingalau 21:53 20 May 2005

Thanks for that info..however for some reason I can't follow your instructions.I am on Windows XP and when I go to "My Computer" I do not get Folder Options on the View menu. I did manage to find Folder Options but then things did not happen in the order you specified. Can't find the "Edit" to click on anywhere. So as I didn't want to muck anything up I chickened out and got back on here...Bingalau

DieSse 21:58 20 May 2005

What file is causing you a problem - in particular what is the extension (the part afeter the dot). The extension governs what program opens the file . You simply may not have the correct program for it.

Bingalau 22:11 20 May 2005

The extension is .pps

DieSse 22:19 20 May 2005

.pps is a Power Point slide show. To view this file you either need MS Office (inc Power Point) installed, or download the free Power Point viewer from click here

Bingalau 22:47 20 May 2005

Many thanks for that. I have downloaded the program and will try it out now.. Then I am off to bed 'cos I am dead beat. Been to two funerals today. They are not the best way to pass a day away. Both golfing friends. Never mind, I will see them in that great big golf course in the sky someday. Might get a hole in one up there? Thanks again in anticipation of success. Bingalau........

Bingalau 22:55 20 May 2005

Stupid me.... I have already deleted the files that were causing the problem so now I will have to wait for one to come again.. Not to worry I will click the "resolved" button when I want to show success. Thank you both again for your efforts..Bingalau...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?