Creaky dial-up connection speeds with USB modem

Rick_X 15:36 10 Jun 2004

My parents have just got a brand new PC but don't use the internet enough to warrant BB so they use PAYG dial-up, however the connection speeds have been terrible, averaging 33K. Prior to getting this new PC I had BT up the gain on their phone line and, with their old PC, connection speeds were more in the range of 50K. They do use an extension lead from the main phone socket to the modem and I bought a new one to see if this was the problem. Unfortunately this didn't work, neither did changing ISP or reinstalling the modem drivers. I don't think REN is an issue either as they have 4 phone sockets in the house and only have 3 phones plugged in at any time and, as I said earlier, the connection speeds with the old modem and PC were good. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate them as this poor connection is making helping them with Remote Assistance nigh on impossible. Thanks

SANTOS7 15:43 10 Jun 2004

did the pc have a dedicated internet package like time/tiny have. are they useing this or another isp if they are you will have to change your modem as they seem to be dedicated to the package they come with i had a similar prob with time when i was on dialup 33k changed modem 49.9k
hope this helps

struggle8 17:19 10 Jun 2004

what modem is it I had the same prob on dial up I was only getting a 33k connection so I changed the drivers to the generic version and hey prest 52k connection my modem was connexant

Fruit Bat 17:50 10 Jun 2004

click here and download FreshUI has an option to tweak your modem sttings, plus many other windows settings

/\0/\

Rick_X 12:26 11 Jun 2004

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Regards the modem software, I tried rolliing back the driver files but couldn't, then I uninstalled the modem and left XP to detect and install the generic ones but it couldn't (ironically it wanted to connect to the internet to find some). The connection itself sometimes hits 50K but mostly stays at 33K so I'm not sure if it could be the same problem Santos7 suggested. I'll see if Fruit Bat's Fresh UI can help but in the meantime if anyone has any more ideas I'd really appreciate them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?