crashing and not responding

vienna1981 23:47 07 Jan 2003
  vienna1981 23:47 07 Jan 2003

Hi, recently my pc has been crashing a great deal, (especially when i'm on the internet), over 4 times a day, also programs stop responding frequently, especially msn messenger. I have scanned for errors, defragmented and scanned for viruses, but there have been no viruses detected. This is really annoying me. My OS is Win98se, my modem is a 56k dial-up and my ISP is ntlworld, i am using IE6 aswell.

Djohn 00:00 08 Jan 2003

This could be caused by any one of several problems, Overheating/memory/graphics card.

When you say crash, do you mean the program freezes or do you get a blue screen/fatal error/illegal program or similar. let us Know which CPU you are using and how much memory you have on board. Regards. J.

vienna1981 00:28 08 Jan 2003

i get a mixture, sometimes it freezes, blue screen, fatal exception error, illegal operation. I used to have 64Mb memory which suddenly changed to 48Mb! I have enquired about this in past postings but the whereabouts of the memory is still a mystery since it still comes up as about 64Mb on startup. CPU? exactly what is this? and where can i find out which one i have?

User-312386 00:31 08 Jan 2003

the other meg is with onboard graphics
click here and use the registry fix i have told Bertie B about

madboy33

Djohn 00:34 08 Jan 2003

vienna1981, sorry about that, CPU is the processor as in Pentium or AMD. As for the memory difference, that could be down to the fact that you have 64mg, but the graphics card is using some itself, therefore leaving you with 48mg for storing/usage.

Djohn 00:40 08 Jan 2003

vienna1981, do as madboy33™has recommended, also I think I'm correct in saying that 48mg memory is a little on the low side for 98se and the internet as well, unless you are very careful with your house keeping. IE: deleting temp files and temp. internet files on a regular basis.

vienna1981 00:41 08 Jan 2003

Unfortunatly my CPU is a Cyrix III, why would my graphics card suddenly just use 16mg for itself? my pc worked fine before the memory for storage was reduced! could i relocate the memory without doing any damage to the graphics? as when my system is scanned for its suitability for broadband the only thing that fsils me is the memory as i need 64mg but the information sent is that its 48mg.

vienna1981 00:46 08 Jan 2003

i would try it but i hate safe mode and what exactly will this registry fix do? what if that isn't the problem? i know my pc's crap but this is the worst its been for a while, it doesn't usually crash this often!

Djohn 00:51 08 Jan 2003

vienna1981, you may be able too alter the allocation, madboy33™ will advise you better on this.

As for his recommendation, if you follow what he has said, you will be ok. Regards. J.

Djohn 00:53 08 Jan 2003

PS. there is nothing wrong with your PC that a little "Tender loving care" won't fix. stick around and this forum will soon have it flying. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?