crashing computer

lahorie 13:53 16 Mar 2003

Hi

My pc keeps freezing no matter what i am doing, surfing, using word, using control panel, hitting the start button, using defrag. The screen just freezes, i have to reboot each time its driving me crazy. Can anyone help???

Much appreciated

Lahorie

powerless 13:56 16 Mar 2003

Whats is your operating system?

When did this start to happen, after you installed some software, new hardware?

lahorie 14:12 16 Mar 2003

windows 98 se, athlon 850, 256 mb ram, gtsII 64 mb grahics card. its been on and off like this but steadily becoming worse

powerless 14:26 16 Mar 2003

It might be overheating - click here download AIDA32 - Personal System Information and install. If your motherboard has the hardware to monitor the temperatue. Then within the application go to (on the left) Computer > Sensor > You should see temperatures, noet what they are and post back. If you do not see any temperatues then you do not have the hardware that monitors temps :-)

Also go to Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager > You should see a list, are there any yellow exclamation marks?

(this is from memory so it may be wrong) Also go to Start > Programs > Accesories > System tools > System Information > On the left fintd "Problem Devices" also look at "Conflicts and sharing". Post back what you see if anything.

Also press Ctrl - Alt - Delete and close all of the programs you see down, highlight one of them and click "End Task". DO NOT do this for "Explorer" and "Systray" See if that helps. If it does then it maybe a program causing your problem. Restart and close each one one by one and check to see which one it is. (Process of Elimination)

Also run "Scandisk" and "Defrag" also do this from System tools (as above). In scandisk choose "Thorough" and scan away. It may take some time...

powerless 14:34 16 Mar 2003

Whoops...If you cannot do any of the above because the computer freezes.

When your computer is starting keep tapping the F8 Key...

Now choose SAFE MODE...

In safe mode go to Start > Run > Type: MSCONFIG > Then clcick on "STARTUP"...

Now take the ticks out of the boxes that you see apart from "Systray" and "Explorer" (if its there)... Click "OK".

Now restart...

See if that helps, if it does then one of those progrmas is causing the freezing.

Go back into safe mode and add a tick back in the box one at a time and you should find the culprit, if its software.

You can also run Scandisk and defrag in safe mode so whilst your in there run them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?