Crashes

fred12ned 07:47 10 Aug 2006

My computer is always freezeing and i have found out from a log file that just before it crashes EXPLORER uses 100% CPU

Please help me

Harpur 08:37 10 Aug 2006

without other information it would nearly impossible to tell what the cause maybe. its a bit like phoning a doctor after you collapsed to ask why it happened. there are many number of reasons why this happens - software or hardware related, or possibly your computer is over heating. give more info on your setup

vinnyT 10:59 10 Aug 2006

'its a bit like phoning a doctor after you collapsed to ask why it happened' Most likely cause in GB is man comes home late after night out with the lads, with unidentified lipstick on collar, resulting in bump/bruise and/or amnesia;-)

PS sorry.

UncleP 12:01 10 Aug 2006

Don't be put off. There are many reasons why your machine might hang/freeze etc, and if forum members are to make suggestions they need as much relevant information as possible. As Harpur suggests, a system summary (motherboard, RAM, PSU etc) is a good place to start.

You say that the fault is a regular occurrence; have you noted any pattern? eg soon after starting up, after long periods of operation, at random. Do you notice any changes immediately before it occurs? eg change in HD operation, fan noise, display etc.

How do you recover? eg Ctrl/Alt/Del, hard reset etc. If you start again immediately, is there a tendency for the fault to re-occur?

Does it happen with other CPU-intensive programs (some games are very demanding) or is it specific to Explorer (Windows or Internet?). You can monitor the temperature of some parts of your system, either with free utilities (suggestions would be welcome, chaps) or through the BIOS on most motherboards.

Just throwing out ideas - enough to be going on with, I think.

fred12ned 12:42 10 Aug 2006
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 10 Aug 2006

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Harpur 22:23 10 Aug 2006

that info was all very interesting but we need the mechanics of your machine ie. ttype of processor, amount of ram, motherboard etc. also how old is the system and when do the freeze ups occur. is it when you are gaming? multitasking , burning cds' whatever. is it a regular pattern or at random times? a regular pattern maybe when you are doing graphic intensive work which maybe putting a srain on the cpu.

post those details as they are more useful initially.

by the way you could do with installing dx 9.0c.

fred12ned 08:06 11 Aug 2006

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2200+,MMX,3DNow,1.8GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Motherboard: AOpen KM400-8237

The freeze ups occur just after I close my browser (OPERA 9.01)

Harpur 22:16 11 Aug 2006

have you tried a different browser?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?