Crashed desktop

manrow 18:43 30 May 2014

I have an oldish desktop computer containing 4 hard drives with lots of photo images on. I suspect the operating system was XP. It is the boot hard disk which has failed. Firstly can I replace it with a smallish ssd drive, say 128gb for faster startup? Secondly is it likely that the desktop will accept a later operating system, say windows 7 please?

rdave13 18:53 30 May 2014

There's a lot more information needed here I think. Do you physically have 4 hard drives? Raid set up? Was the C drive for OS only and the rest for data and programs?

How old is the desktop, how much ram etc. To get more help try to get some more information on your set-up so others can get more clued up of your situation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 30 May 2014

Xp can be repair unless the drive has physically failed. What is happening at boot up?

manrow 13:21 02 Jun 2014

Okay rdave13. Yes there are 4 hard drives, and the c drive is the boot drive, but it also held some of the images I want to recover. I believe I had the maximum amount of Ram which the system could utilise. On pressing the start button, there is no loading of XP, just a clicking noise from the hard drive area, which I take to mean that the c drive has failed. The reason for the multi drives originally was because a Raid system had been setup; I found the system slowed saving to such an extent that I had it removed.

Fruit Bat I would be reluctant to use XP again as I suspect that without Microsoft support, it will be more vulnerable to hacking?

Jollyjohn 16:15 02 Jun 2014

I would at least attempt a repair of XP if only to retrieve data from HDD.

Using Firefox instead of IE will help with security of XP

Be aware you will need to upgrade IE from version 6 to 8 to allow Windows updates to run on repaired XP.

wee eddie 17:39 02 Jun 2014

I wonder whether the MOBO you used, while setting up an XP PC, is up to an SSD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 02 Jun 2014

On pressing the start button, there is no loading of XP, just a clicking noise from the hard drive area, which I take to mean that the c drive has failed.

Certainly sounds bad for that drive and any info on it.

Boot with a live linux CD/ DVD and see if it will read all your drives you can at least then copy all your info from the other 3 drives (and possibly the c drive as well) to a USb or external drive.

bumpkin 19:08 02 Jun 2014

Aside from the C drive do any of the others have a backup on them.

manrow 19:18 02 Jun 2014

No is the answer to that question bumpkin.

manrow 19:19 02 Jun 2014

No is the answer to that question bumpkin.

bumpkin 19:23 02 Jun 2014

If you have an old PC using XP with 4 separate HDDs then you can't have a CD drive unless I have misunderstood, more info is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?