crash trojan

MidgetMan 21:16 10 Nov 2004

Just come back from helping a mate out, he has been having alot of trouble with spyware etc.

Running xp home with sp1 installed, system is riddled with spyware/adware etc.

Installed adaware - spyware blaster and avg. avg picked up 11 viruses all safly removed, adaware picked up over 300 items on first run, I configed spyware blaster to lock homepage etc,(all updated)

Main probs seem to be that the internet connection loses all settings, homepage keeps getting changed, even though locked in spyware blaster, everytime we log on a trojan called crash is installed, this is causing the whole system to slow down and become unstable,

Why/how is this prog getting past all defences? I have been able to manually delete it everytime (looks like a winrar file)? but as soon as we log on there it is again!!!!!, have thought that the homepage might be to blame (google) but seems unlikey.

Any thought/suggestion etc??

VoG II 21:20 10 Nov 2004

TRy scanning with a² click here

MidgetMan 08:38 11 Nov 2004

cheers for that, any idea how to stop it getting??? it seems to d/loadetc as soon as we log on (homepage google)

MidgetMan 14:15 11 Nov 2004

woodt 14:26 11 Nov 2004

The trojan may be hidden in the system restore files. Turn off System restore (right click My Computer select properties to find the system restore tab) wait for the files to be deleted and then rerun the programs above. Dont forget to switch SR back on again.

MidgetMan 15:24 11 Nov 2004

Have already done that mate, somehow both avg and adaware are not picking it up. (both upto date), does not matter how many times i manually delete back it comes.

SANTOS7 15:34 11 Nov 2004

click here it may well not be in AVGs data base, but is in nortons, no instructions for manual removal only whats suggested on link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?