crash and reboot problem

Snrub 17:28 17 Aug 2009

when I close my webrowsers IE8 or Google Chrome the screen monitor instantly switches off and the computer(XP)crashes and reboots.
Any solutions appreciated?

I had the same problem with IE and Google Chrome Web Browsers. I posted the thread but I got no reply. Try unstalling Google Chrome first. If the computer works fine with just IE8 please tell me. If it doesn't work try downloading Ccleaner from click here This will clear out your system and correct your system from conflicks. Eg. 2 anti-virus programs or 2 web browsers. Do not try to unstall IE because it is extremely hard to reinstall if you use Google Chrome. I have more ideas. But first try this one!

Snrub 20:23 17 Aug 2009

Thanks have run Ccleaner but still same problem.

Cuddles 20:28 18 Aug 2009

Have you tried TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > ADVANCED > RESET ? Which browser is set as default, you could try setting ie as default and uninstalling chrome as it is easier to reinstall

Snrub 15:20 20 Aug 2009

Think I might have stumbled accidentally across solving the crash and reboot problem with my browsers!! I had both a full Yahoo toolbar and a full Google toolbar available in IE8. I disabled the Google toolbar and IE8 seems to be working without the browser shutdowns. Early days yet but I think there was a conflict between the two toolbars and am surprised that this simple modification has resolved the crash and reboot problem which has been plaguing me for months because I had been thinking more along the lines that this was something like a faulty PSU problem, missing file, virus etc.
Now when I open a new tab, Yahoo browser options/history come up instantly, whereas before there was a long wait much hard drive whirring which brought up the Google browser options/history.
Many thanks to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?