Crash problem with AMD 2400xp

pasty2 12:03 19 Jan 2005

I have a asus 7v600-x mobo with an amd athlon 2400xp processor, win xp and 1Gb ram, the procesor that should run at 2.0 Ghz. Problem is when I set the bios settings to auto, it detects the processor at 2Ghz boots up fine but when I run a few processes the PC power goes. the screen goes black and no power. The only way to get it stable is to run the processor at 1.5Ghz. Is it an FSB problem, a better power supply or somthing else.

Thanks in advance

Pasty2

The Sack 12:09 19 Jan 2005

Have you tried setting it manually to 15x133?

Chezdez 12:15 19 Jan 2005

i have a very similar problem with an asus A7V8X-X motherboard with AMD 2600+ processor and 512MB RAM

if i run it at 2.083GHz (the 'normal' speed), it quickly overheats, and asus probe starts bleeping at me rather aggressively. the only way to stop this is to downclock it to 1.666GHz

i've added a new fan to the back, but this doesn't seem to help. i'm also going to replace the sink in the near future

anyone got any ideas?

Chezdez 12:26 19 Jan 2005

one more thing, when the comp first boots up, i get a message reading something like 'no drive attached to fast trak conroller, the BIOS is not installed'

could that be the problem, and how do i fix it?

pasty2 12:32 19 Jan 2005

The Sack
I'll give that a go and let you know, I'm using the heat sink and fan that came with processor as well as thermal grease. I have also noticed that the processor heats up to about 55-57 deg, which I didn't think was to hot for an athlon xp.

Cheers

georgemac 13:24 19 Jan 2005

55-57 deg is OK for an athlon xp - my xp3000 runs at 65 degC with no problems

I would try running asus probe and monitoring the temperatures and voltages carefully

as you run the cpu faster, it draws more power, it may be that the psu is not quite up to the job. Because it is consuming more power it also produces more heat.

take off the side of the case and check the +5v +12v and +3.3v max ratings (not peak) of your power supply, and the make. Post these here.

click here download and install crystalcpuid and run it - see what it says are the current and original settings of your cpu - there are some rebadged athlons out there which are not what they claim to be - depends where you bought it from - if it is from a reputable dealer then they should be OK.

Chezdez 15:02 19 Jan 2005

yeah, mines kinda running upto 72 - 73 degrees, and would go higher if i didn't crash out of all programs.....

georgemac 15:17 19 Jan 2005

you have got problems there - you need to check your heatsink is properly installed and that the fan is working properly - Athlons should go up to 85 to 90 degC before you see a problem but instabilty is the first sign of temp problems, and you don't know how accurate the temp probe is.

pasty2 12:01 20 Jan 2005

many thanxs to all' i think there's enough advice to get things sorted.

Pasty2

pasty2 12:06 20 Jan 2005

Georgemac,
asus probe says voltage readings for 12v, 5v & 3.3v are 11.968, 4.784 and 3.296 respectively, are these ok?

Chezdez 12:18 20 Jan 2005

i'm pretty sure that asus probe will be pretty reliable, it came with the motherboard

i'll get the heatsink checked out, but, if i take the fan off, i need to apply new heatsink before i replace the fan don't i?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017