Crash on defrag

thamesside 09:56 06 Sep 2008

My computer crashes when defragging. Not quite sure when but towards the end. Ran error check on the disc and found a few bad clusters but problem persists. I do get occasional crashes at other times. I am running Windows XP and have Norton Systemworks and ZoneAlarm.
Doug

birdface 10:20 06 Sep 2008

If an oldish computer check the air vents are not clogged with dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.May be overheating check that all the fans are working properly.

birdface 10:35 06 Sep 2008

If using the windows defrag try another.I used to use 10 bit defrag that used to take about 6 minutes but don't know if it is still about.

thamesside 21:57 06 Sep 2008

Thanks buteman. I'll have a go at those suggestions and see if it makes a difference.

MAT ALAN 22:00 06 Sep 2008

could be a memory issue, how much do you have?

thamesside 17:50 07 Sep 2008

1GB

GaT7 18:12 07 Sep 2008

Try the free JKDefrag click here - nothing fancy to look at, but does a thorough job. G

thamesside 11:31 08 Sep 2008

OK Given the computer a good hoover.
Installed and ran jkdefrag. Seemed to go OK but since have twice got new crash with blue screen saying delete any new hardware or software! Then got into a loop with Norton Goback trying unsuccessfully to recover over and over again( I have Norton Goback but it doesn't work - guess I should get rid of it - I believe this is difficult). Switched off on the wall and rebooted OK. No sign of jkdefrag in add/remove programs so deleted all associated files from download file. Don't know if it is anywhere else!
I await further developments!

birdface 11:47 08 Sep 2008

Looks like this new Norton tool might get rid of it.click here

thamesside 11:50 08 Sep 2008

Thanks buteman. I think I will just sit on my hand for a bit and see how things go.

birdface 12:00 08 Sep 2008

Ok thamesside best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?