Crash

User-394903 19:58 13 Mar 2006

Hi all,

I've just had a major pc crash and before I can do any workarounds, I'm advised to get a good anti virus program. That went too, in the crash.

Please advise.

Thank you.

SG Atlantis® 19:59 13 Mar 2006

please advise what exactly?

User-394903 21:27 13 Mar 2006

Hi SG Atlantis,

I am running Windows XP Home with SP2

I shut down in the normal way last night, which took longer than usual. This morning when I powered up, again the the time was greater. I attempted to access the mail Via O.E. I use BT Broadband. The modem is a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL.

An error message came that says 'The host 'POP3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly (I wasn't aware that I had changed it)! Account: 'POP3', Server: 'POP3' Protocol: 'POPO3' Port: 110, Secure(SSL): NO, Socket Error:11001,Error Number 0X800CCC0D'

I didn't pay to much attention to it at the time and went on to the internet. That's when things really went wrong. The screen started flashing with images that I couldn't recognise. They were so fast. Shortly after that the screen went blank.

Different things like shuting down and rebooting were tried and checking all connections, but nothing.

I then reinstalled Windows using the Windows insallation disk. All the programs I had have been lost and I still have the mail problems.

Please help.

Thank you

digijack

Jaro 22:16 13 Mar 2006

it looks like some nasty virus. did you scan your comp with antivirus and antispyware program?

User-394903 22:40 13 Mar 2006

Hi Jaro,

Like I said earlier, that went too. I'm really messed up. I can't even play cd's, there's no sound. That's something else. I want to get my email problem sorted first.

woodchip 22:44 13 Mar 2006

Panic as made the situation worse, It's knowing where to start now as we do not know what you have on the drive!

woodchip 22:46 13 Mar 2006

First try this Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore and look for a Old date that is BOLD, if you see one before the problem try running it

User-394903 22:51 13 Mar 2006

Hi woodchip,

The only hi-lited/shaded date is today's.

woodchip 22:54 13 Mar 2006

What can you see on your Drive in Windows Explorer?
Press Win key and the letter E for Explorer

woodchip 22:56 13 Mar 2006

Do you have a Restore to manufacturers settings CD?

User-394903 23:00 13 Mar 2006

When I press the key with the windows logo on, what comes up is just like as if I clicked start.
What a mess. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?