cracks in lid Acer Aspire 3613WLMi

diyam 18:07 25 Mar 2009

I have a crack on both left and right hand sides of the lid near the hinges. The hinges are stiff so I assume that this has caused the problem. I have been quoted over £100 for new screen and hinges. Is there anything I can do either to lubricate hinges I have tried using a lubricant but it is difficult to access th actual hinges or glue the cracks. Perhaps someone has a differnt solution.
I dont feel like paying out such a large sum for repairs as I understand this is a common problem with Acers and can recur. I am curently using the laptop as a desk top leaving it permanently open. I wonder if I would be better off buying a new laptop but definitely not an Acer.

mooly 18:55 25 Mar 2009

I too have heard of this problem. I always open my Aspire with two fingers in the center to spread to load as it were, never just open and close by one corner. Might be worth trickling a tiny amount of lube in if you can. Don't use mineral oil based ones as these can soften plastic long term... silicone probably best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?