cracked screen on dell laptop

johninherts 18:54 05 Nov 2007

I have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop under warranty a large crack has developed under the glass. Dell say I must off dropped it,which I know I haven't has anyone had any similar experiences ?

Ashrich 19:02 05 Nov 2007

Not experienced that sort of thing before , but it sounds like it might be the lid flexing causing torsion stress ( I think twisting stress is torsion , I'm sure someone will put me right ) This can be caused by opening it with one hand when the hinges are still quite stiff ( one side will travel faster and a little further than the other causing twisting ) If there are NO signs of dropping , scuff marks , dents etc. , then Dell should really at least look at it before making judgements , maybe ge someone independent to look at it first , obviously without taking it to pieces as that would invalidate any remaining warranty . Do a Google search to see if it is a known fault , with extra info Dell may well cave in and do the repair .

Ashley

johninherts 19:10 05 Nov 2007

Thanks for your advice another factor i didn't mention is that the bottom of the frame round the glass gets really hot,but the crack started at the top.

Ashrich 21:37 05 Nov 2007

Funny you should mention about the heat thing , I just felt around the bottom of the screen on my Dell Inspiron 6400 , it does the same , really quite warm , especially where the join is between the base and the screen , I'll have to keep an eye on that in case it weakens the plastic around the hinges .

Ashley

23:29 05 Nov 2007

Found this (If it Helps or Not),
click here

Graham. 00:19 06 Nov 2007

If it is under warranty, Dell is obliged to repair or replace the laptop. Don't be fobbed off.

johninherts 18:00 06 Nov 2007

Thanks for all your help and advice,I asked dell to write to me confirming that my laptop is not covered under the warranty on the basis of a photo I sent them of the damage. Their technicians must be very good if they can diagnose faults from photos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?