CR2 files-they won't open on the computer.

Rotenone 14:16 28 Jun 2010

I have taken some photos with my Canon 400D camera using RAW+Large quality.They have been written as CR2 files which I cannot open on the computer.It says that that I haven't got the latest updates for photo gallery so I uploaded these(I think).Still no luck.Can anybody advise me what I need to do to be able to view these CR2 files?

northumbria61 14:20 28 Jun 2010

Operating System ??

Clapton is God 14:20 28 Jun 2010
  northumbria61 14:23 28 Jun 2010

Occasionally, when you start Photo Gallery, you might see a message that new updates are available. Usually, these updates enable you to view and edit additional kinds of pictures or videos. If you import pictures using your camera’s RAW format, for example, Photo Gallery will let you know when software becomes available to see and edit those RAW pictures.

If you agree to install the update, your web browser will open. Follow the instructions on the webpage to download and install the update. After installing the update, you will need to restart Photo Gallery for the changes to take effect.

northumbria61 14:27 28 Jun 2010

Check which version of Photo Gallery you have and see if you need an update - can be obtained from here.

click here

DWANE PYPE 15:49 28 Jun 2010

Try these, both free.

For opening and viewing Irfanview. click here

And if you want to try your hand at editing them Rawtherapee. click here

Regards,
DP

DWANE PYPE 15:52 28 Jun 2010

SORRY!!!!!
My posting should have been for you. Doh!!

Regards
DP

hssutton 15:59 28 Jun 2010

Why not just load your Canon software? probably the best raw convertor. As an alternative you can use the Adobe DNG software.

click here

Photo gallery Codecs for CR2

click here

Rotenone 18:25 01 Jul 2010

Thank you everybody for your help.I have,with your advice, sorted the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?