CPU usage higher than usual

cpn 19:34 15 Mar 2009
Answered

Hello again
Please can anyone advise on the following: My CPU usage meter is constantly registering between around 50% and 100% when it usually settles down to around 30% or less once the usual startup process is completed.I have checked the Task manager and there are no new,unknown or odd looking programmes showing as running. I am using Norton 360. My system spec is Vista home premium, Intel Core T 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor, 2048MB DDR2 Memory (2x1024MB), 2x320GB hard drives with plenty of space
Any ideas would be much appreciated

gartoy 20:50 15 Mar 2009

Hi cpn

In the task manager processes tab, in the 3rd column along, it shows how much processing power each of your processes is using, displayed as a percentage.

cpn 22:36 15 Mar 2009

Hello gartoy thanks for getting back. Checked what you advised and it appears that the process that is using all the power is svchose.exe system Host process for windows services

cpn 10:01 16 Mar 2009

Hello again. The task that appears to be running and taking up the processing power is svchose.exe which appears to be running Dcom launcher Dcom server process launcher also plug and play. Can I just stop it running in tesk manager without causing additional problems?

peter99co 22:55 16 Mar 2009

I would leave well alone.

igk 13:10 17 Mar 2009
Answer

I had the same problem recently with a usb pendrive and found the cause was I had disabled the autorun feature you could check to see if this is the problem,go to control panel,programes,default programes,change autoply settings and ensure there is a tick in "use autoplay for all media and devices"
As soon as I did this all was ok.
Hope this helps.

igk 13:11 17 Mar 2009

re my last post please ignore don't know what happened there!

igk 13:17 17 Mar 2009

Right try again! there is a current problem with the latest Adaware update that causes very high cpu activity and other problems,check out Lavasoft website forums there is supposed to be a get around posted by Lavasoft but I found it useless,it may be this that you are experiencing.

Ventad 17:23 17 Mar 2009

when you google svchose.exe it appears to be a virus/worm click here

Ventad 16:13 18 Mar 2009

Command: svchose.exe
Description: Added by the W32/Rbot-ASL worm. When started, this infection connects to a remote IRC server where it waits for commands to execute.

peter99co 20:39 18 Mar 2009

Do you have anti virus/malware software running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?