CPU Usage

Octoz 12:58 09 Dec 2006

AMD 2400+
1GB RAM
Win XP pro
Have looked this up in previous pots but still unclear. My computer is running slowly and when I check Task manager CPU usage is at 100% when the only task running in the foreground is iexplorer.
Have stopped various programs loading at start up but CPU usage is showing at 100%

Any help/suggestions gratefully received

anskyber 13:25 09 Dec 2006

Can you tell us whether there is more than one ie explore exe. running.

Octoz 13:53 09 Dec 2006

anskyber
I have only one i explorer running there is explorer running also

ed-0 14:04 09 Dec 2006

Task manager does not show cpu usage. What it does show is cpu idle usage and program usage.

Either you are confusing the idle process as usage

or

you have a program /programs running that is using a high proportion of the cpu.

anskyber 14:05 09 Dec 2006

So many different explanations is the problematic answer.

If you have not done so try re booting. If that is no good run your anti virus/spyware programmes.

LimestoneRock 15:26 09 Dec 2006

ed-0 - Task Manager does show CPU Usage at the foot of the box. Mine is currently showing 3% with System Idle Process indicated at 97%.

Octoz - I had this problem once when running Win98SE. Could not sort it out for a couple of months and then suddenly it corrected itself. I am not sure whether I might have up-dated some drivers along the way which could have cured the problem but it may be worth a try. Do you run SP2 as this may have some bearing?

zarobian 16:36 09 Dec 2006

You can try the following,see if it improves the situaton.

Go to System Properties (Right click on My Computer and select properties) and click Automatic Updates. Uncheck Automatic Radio Button and check Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

You can manually install updates when notified.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017