CPU upgrade using same motherboard

jerica 09:50 11 Mar 2014

Hi, I've got a P5K SE motherboard with a Intel core 2 quad Q6600 on it and I'm thinking of putting in a Q9650 CPU. Any problems I may encounter???

Belatucadrus 20:35 11 Mar 2014

Check out the compatibility list the Q9650 is listed so you should be OK. May need a BIOS update read the bumph to be sure.

jerica 11:47 12 Mar 2014

OK, thanks for the info, the bios seems to be up to date, anything else I should be wary of?

imendpc 01:19 13 Mar 2014

Make record of your BIOS settings if you had changed them such as overclocking. Then load the bios defaults if these exist as an option. Then check your PC runs OK before you do the CPU change. Watch out for static so touch some metal before you handle any components, if you don't use static discharge wrist bands as a precaution but depends if you encounter static anyway.

jerica 11:40 13 Mar 2014

No changes to bios, PC running OK, just want it to run a bit faster without spending ££££'s. Do you think the current heat sink and fan would be OK or should I get new ones?

imendpc 11:53 13 Mar 2014

The Q6600 has a TDP power of 105W and this Q9650 is 95W. So it is less heat output by 10% which means your heat sink is fine. Use an even thin spread of thermal paste to ensure good contact. In any case this CPU has thermal protection (cut out) should it get too hot but you can always monitor its temperature afterwards too see if it would work within its design temperature range.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?