CPU Upgrade Options/Advice

vandango 11:26 30 Aug 2004

I am looking to upgrade my cpu and hopefully use the existing motherboard: click here

Could I please have some advise as to the best spec cpu I could use and where I could get it from at the best price?

thin on top 12:12 30 Aug 2004

Your motherboard is only 100Mhz fsb. So the best it will take is a duron 1300 or a athlon 1400 thunderbird. Both run at 100Mhz fsb. Unfortunately they are hard to find.

You could put a duron 1800 in and it will run at 1.35Ghz. This is because it has a multiplier of 13.5, just in your specs.£31.99
click here

Gongoozler 12:31 30 Aug 2004

Hi vandango. Any upgrade will be severely limited by the fact that this motherboard, as far as I can see from the manual, uses only DIMM memory. Although the manual says that you can use a 1G processor and faster, I don't think you will get a lot faster than that. The CPU speed is the product of the FSB speed (100MHz) and the multiplier which is automatically detected in BIOS, and is probably a maximum of 12, giving you a 1.2G processor.

The slowest Athlon or Duron you will find readily available are Duron 1.6G (but only if the memory is 133MHz) and Athlon click here
and Athlon XP2000+, which is the same speed as the Duron 1.6G.

Unless you need to keep your motherboard for its ISA slots, then really your best bet would be to fit a more modern motherboard. You can get a really good quality one such as the Asus A7V8X-X for about £33 inc vat click here
an Athlon XP2400+ for £47 inc vat click here
256M Crucial PC2100 DDR ram for £27.70 click here.

You may also need a more powerful PSU and CPU heat sink, but the upgrade will give a real speed boost. You can fit a faster CPU to the ASUS motherboard, but it will of course cost more.

thin on top 12:38 30 Aug 2004

This may help.click here

vandango 14:29 30 Aug 2004

Thanks for your advice. Looks like i will be upgrading m/b, thought I might have to! I'm sure to have some more questions to post shortly!

Gongoozler 14:31 30 Aug 2004

You may be interested in the Gigabyte 7N400E-L motherboard, reputed to be more reliable than the ASUS, £40.50 inc VAT click here

Don't bother with small increments in processor speed. Unless you increase it by at least 50% you'll probably not notice any significant performance boost.

961 14:59 30 Aug 2004

You may find a motherboard bundle a useful option with mobo, cpu and memory all pre assembled at a good price

Novatech have some good examples but most mail order companies sell them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone