CPU Upgrade options

Adam1138 15:00 19 Dec 2007

Hello, I am not a PC-person, but am not totally useless. I'm into my online gaming and have upgraded my graphics card without problem.

I'm now looking at whether it's feasible to upgrade my CPU. Currently I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2162 MHz.

I have no idea how to find out what possible CPUs might be compatible, and how easy or practical an operation it is, given I'm not exactly great once the back of the PC has been removed and I'm confronted with a load of PCBs and wires and stuff

I look forward to your advice!

Quiller. 15:16 19 Dec 2007

It sounds as if you have an AMD XP motherboard and the 3000+ is about top of the tree for them.

To be sure can you post the make and model of the motherboard, if you don't know post back.

Or the make and model of the computer if it is a shop bought machine.

keef66 16:49 19 Dec 2007

Yep, need to know what motherboard you have before it's possible to say whether you can get a worthwhile cpu upgrade for it.

With the side panel off the pc you should be able to see the manufacturer's name and an ID number printed somewhere on the motherboard, often near the memory slots or pci slots

mrwoowoo 16:55 19 Dec 2007

if xp
click start>run and type "dxdiag", without the quotes. Click on the system tab,then where it says system manufacturer,that is your motherboard.

citadel 17:07 19 Dec 2007

you do not say how much ram you have, adding more would improve gaming more than the cpu upgrade and is very easy to do.

mrwoowoo 17:19 19 Dec 2007

As your m/board seems to be socket A,the largest cpu they do is an 3200+ i believe.
Not much of an upgrade really.
Also would need to buy used off of ebay as they are out of production now.
citadels advice is worth considering,otherwise a new m/board and cpu may be your only option,with perhaps newer memory as well.

Adam1138 18:05 19 Dec 2007

Thanks for the response - Mobo manufacturer is ASUSTek, model A7N8X-E. I upgraded my RAM to 2Gb so I'm hoping that's not an area I need to worry about!

The PC was from Mesh (click here)

brundle 18:09 19 Dec 2007

Fastest CPU is definitely 3200 for that board, not worth the upgrade. Adding more than your current memory wouldn't make any difference either. Very little more you can get from that kit.

Quiller. 18:11 19 Dec 2007

You have about the best cpu for that board. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?