CPU upgrade advice, please

NickJH 13:09 11 Sep 2010

Hi,
I have a home-built box with a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H M/B and an AMD X2 4000+ (ADO4000IAA5DD) and I am looking to upgrade the processor. The PC spends most if its time idling so I thought I'd try to reduce the power consumption while increasing the maximum speed for when I want it. I do not do any gaming and only the occasional home video editing and photo editing (among other things). I am considering the Athlon II X2 240e or something in that range. I don't see the need to go for a more expensive 3 or 4 core processor.

I have seen some processor comparison charts on click here and I am comfortable about what I see apart from on thing. On the Gigabyte site for this M/B there is a comment "(Note) If you install an AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s); however, the frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted." As the 240e is an AM3 CPU what will be the effect on its speed?

Dark Mantis 21:42 11 Sep 2010

It's just saying that the system bus will be bottlenecked although the speed of the processor will remain the same.

NickJH 11:57 18 Sep 2010

What sort of performance hit could I expect?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?