CPU too hot or is it???

CutNpaste 17:55 11 May 2005

Hi just recently i got a 'Freezer 7' cpu cooler installed.
I have checked the specs of this cooler and thought it would eradicate the noise that was made by my previous pentium cpu fan.

My processor is a 3.4ghz 775 socket -- and what i wanted to find out is that -- the temperature that i am getting when my cpu is on 100% goes near 73 celcius.
What i dont understand is that with the pentium cooler, my cpu temp in 100% was around 55-60 c.

Is there anything wrong. The technicians in my local pc shop (who installed it for me) said that those temperatures are normal for a 775 because they produce a lot of heat.

Please help me on this!!
cheers

Gongoozler 18:33 11 May 2005

This test got much lower temperatures click here.
I wonder if the case cooling is adequate. It doesn't matter how good the heatsink is if the air it is drawing in is hot.

Totally-braindead 18:48 11 May 2005

I've had a look at the link Gongoozler gave and from what the review says it should be cooler and quieter therefore I think as Gongoozler has suggested that the case cooling may not be sufficient.

Indigo 1 18:48 11 May 2005

It sounds a bit too hot to me, I would not be satisfied and would return it to the shop.

Tell them to put it back as it was and get your money back then click here#_ and scroll down to 'Fitting a Pentium 4 and Heatsink' and see if you fancy trying it for yourself.

Common mistakes are, 1) not removing the plastic protective cover from the heatsink face which causes damage to CPU and prevents correct contact between CPU and Heatsink so will not cool properly.

2) Not using thermal paste which prevents correct contact and prevents proper cooling.

3) Using thermal paste when a themal pad is fitted to heatsink also prevents proper cooling

4) Incorrect alignment of heatsink (more common with AMD chips)

5) Fan speed is too low either due to a setting or having a resistor inline or not wired correctly.

It might even be that the fan is not working, take the cover off and check.

961 19:15 11 May 2005

or even installing fan the wrong way round..

Indigo 1 19:20 11 May 2005

Having looked at the Freezer 7 it is not likely to happen as the fan and h/s are built as one.

joseph K 19:25 11 May 2005

You should switch off at 80 degrees C - so you are obviously getting worryingly close!

961 19:39 11 May 2005

..then it must be one of your suggestions, because it shouldn't be running as hot as that

The advice has got to be switch it off till we find the cause 'cos otherwise it will fry

CutNpaste 19:40 11 May 2005

I tried opening the case and saw a difference.
the temp drops to 55-58 and on full 100% it stays just under 70.
I'm thinkin should i change the case -- then again the pentium fan kept it much cooler then this one.

I just dont know wot to do.

I still have got my zalman cooler -- which is still sealed new -- but it doesnt fit into my case cos it so big -- maybe the zalman might be better than the freezer.

Indigo 1 23:16 11 May 2005

Take it back to the shop and tell them you are not satisfied, tell them what the problem is and if they can't or won't fix it then demand your money back and get them to put it back as it was.

It is definitely not right, the Freezer 7 should be capable of lower temps than the stock Pentium cooler.

fly2hi 23:47 11 May 2005

My old P4 runs at around 39 but jumps up to 75 at 100%. At the risk of being called a neanderthal, I admit to keeping it under control by sliding the side off the case and popping in a couple of freezer packs and if really concerned, my daughters hair dryer on the cool setting takes it down a few notches. yes I know, bit dodgy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017