CPU Temperature

Gosford 18:45 01 Jul 2003

I was just wondering what is a safe temperature for a CPU to run at, at the moment mine (an AMD XP2400+) is running at about 60 degrees Celsius, but the other day it was closer to 70. I don't have any case fans just the CPU fan, would it be a good idea to get a case fan or am I worrying about nothing?

accord 19:15 01 Jul 2003

click here

my XP2000+ is running at 48c

SEASHANTY 19:53 01 Jul 2003

If you do not have any checking standard programme on your PC then try Sandra Standard. Free utility which will monitor your PC and is available on this PCA site from DOWNLOADS. Go UTILITIES to SYSTEM RESOURCES TUNE-UP to Page (3) and download this programme. It will monitor your motherboard temp amongst other useful activities.

the advisor 20:04 01 Jul 2003

CPUS ARE FINE BETWEEN 45 AND 55 CELCIUS
BUY A CPU FAN THAT WILL WORK ON THE FASTEST AMD CPU THAT WAY YOU KNOW THAT IS BEING COOLED

ANOTHER REASON COULD BE THAT IF YOU INSTALLED THE CPU DID YOU PUT ANY THERMAL GREASE ON THE HEATSINK

MOST BOXED FANS HAVE A THERMAL SQUARE ALREADY ON THE HEATSINK

BUT A CASE FAN IS A REALLY GOOD IDEA A TAD EXTRA NOISE BUT PIECE OF MIND

Psiman 20:18 01 Jul 2003

Yes - you are worrying about nothing. Up to 70 deg C is still within specification for an AMD. BTW you don't mention whether your PC is purchased or home built.
For good housekeeping you should have a large inlet case fan (low down at front) and slightly smaller exit fan high up at the rear near the PSU exhaust, the object being to obtain a slight positive air pressure above atmospheric presssure within the case.

Glyn-252301 20:34 01 Jul 2003

I would not trust Sandra with CPU temp. It quotes my chassis temp as the CPU temp, that is some 10 deg.C lower than CPU.
and yes my fan leads are on correct connecters.

Gosford 23:46 01 Jul 2003

Thanks everyone for your advise, I think that I probably will get a case fan or two just to be on the safe side.

accord 04:51 02 Jul 2003

Gosford

Be careful as to what type and size of fan you use as you can get it completely wrong and make things worse.

accord 04:55 02 Jul 2003

take a look at these aswell

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?