CPU temp rise after adding new heatsink/fan

woofwoofbark 06:00 18 May 2009

I bought a new computer case , ANTEC 902.

I transferred my old m/board to the case with all the components , graphics card , dvdrom , hd ...ect

The new case is brilliant for cooling the components , anyway , I decided to buy a new m/board , istalled it into the 902 and then switched everything over , including the Pentium D duel core 925 3.0ghz , I also bought a new heatsink and fan , this one ... click here.

Connected everything and the comp starts up fine , but the temperature of the cpu has jumped from mid 30's C , to mid to high 40's , almost 10C jump.

It's the first time installing a cpu , I found a guide online and followed step by step , it was simple enough in the end although I did take my time as I know cpu's are very delicate.

The heatsink paste came with the heatsink&fan and Im wondering if that could be the cause of higher temp , Im sure I applied enough paste ... or maybe I should think about replacing the heatsink fan for a zalman , click here , as Ive read great reviews about it.

Thanks for any comments.

woofwoofbark 06:45 18 May 2009

Forgot to add a little something .... whenever the cpu rises over 50C the heatsink's fan ROARS , it get really loud and drowns out the fans on the computer case .... I read about the zalman's , that they are really quiet so I'm tempted to go for one of those.

ened 07:01 18 May 2009

50' is a bit high but not critical.

However I can understand your concern.

You shouldn't be damaging anything because it will shut down if the temp becomes critical.

One of two possibilities: too much paste or Heatsink not seated correctly.

I would take it apart and reseat the heatsink, having cleaned off all the paste and apply only the thinnest possible layer.

For your interest I am running a dualcore pentium with the standard heatsink and both cores are running at about 37/38.

woofwoofbark 18:50 02 Jun 2009

Update:

I have since bought an E6600 Dual Core 2.40 processor and the zalman cnps-9900 ( that heatsink is HUGE lol) and Im getting incredible temperature readings.

Just now I have firefox open , the temperature reads at 28c , wow.

I ran winrar earlier , winrar uses a LOT of cpu resources. On looking at my cpu widget on the vista sidebar , both cores were full and the temp did reach upto 44c at one point.

Considering the old Pentium D 925 temp reading on full was upto 59c , geez.

I did read the the core 2 duo's are a lot cooler but to see 28C is amazing.

Just thought I'd share tis info :)

citadel 20:13 02 Jun 2009

you can use too much paste causing high temp, you only need a small amount spread thinly. Titan Fenrir has taken best cooler title in the custom pc mag elite list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?