CPU speed question

Koochy 20:06 23 Apr 2008

Just a quick question on my processor, my laptop has a Intel Centrino Duo T5600 in it and on the Vista performance advisor it says that it is 1.83 Ghz but is that per core or all in?
Thanks

Koochy

Fried~Chips 20:55 23 Apr 2008

yep

DieSse 21:23 23 Apr 2008

Both cores run at 1.8GHz.

Koochy 23:34 23 Apr 2008

Thanks for that just wondering as i have just got into PC gaming and i noticed that a lot of the games require 2.4 ghz and more
Would i be right in saying then that my processor is a 3.66Ghz or is it still classed as a 1.83 Ghz

DieSse 23:52 23 Apr 2008

Neither really.

Clock speed is not a reliable and consistent method of measuring processor performance.

New processors are more efficient - so a 1.83 GHz new processor may well have higher performance than a 2.4GHz processor of 2 or three years ago.

And you cannot aggregate processor performance in a dual core system, as many programs cannot take full advantage of the dual cores - though they may get some advantage. And even programs that take full advantage cannot get double the performance, as there's only one RAM, only one set of motherboard chips, only one graphics card.

So the answer to your question depends on how the game supplier has expressed the performance.

I would bet it will be fine - but you could ask on the game sites directly.

Earthsea 00:01 24 Apr 2008

Single core Centrino architecture is based around the Pentium M, and my 1.73Ghz chip gives roughly the same performance as a P4 2.59Ghz.

Your processor will be around P4 2.8Ghz speed I would think, with the added benefit of 2 cores (if utilised by the software, and most modern games do I think).

Earthsea 00:04 24 Apr 2008

What does this site class it as? (Just select any game.) click here

Koochy 12:48 24 Apr 2008

Thanks all for the prompt responses, Earthsea the link you provided (which i will bookmark) says that it is a 3.57 Ghz, I have tried all the games i want to play and the site says i should be okay with them other than my graphics card is a bit of a let down (NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 512Mb) i thought this was an okay card but it only just scrapes in on the minimum spec.
Thanks again to all who have had input i am now off to buy call of duty 4 see you in a couple of weeks

Cheers

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone