CPU SOFT RESET

TERRYTURBINE 20:10 10 Jul 2008

My granddaughters computor running windows xp sp2 when turned on gets as far as the black screen memory count then the message as above comes up and also CPU may be faulty, as the keyboard is not working I cannot use delete to get into BIOS to reset to defaults to see if this would get the computor to work.

Can anyone tell me what a soft reset is please, or what may be worth trying. the CPU is a pentium 3

skidzy 20:51 10 Jul 2008

I have a feeling you may have faulty ram.Just to verify this,can you download Memtest from a working pc

Memtest bootable (direct download ) click here

Save to your desktop

Then burn using Imgburn click here or Something that burns iso images..If you have Nero,this should work also.

Now im banking on your bios is already set to boot from cd as opposed to hdd (as you cannot get access to the bios).

When you first switch on the problem computer,open the cd drawer and place the Memtest boot cd in and close the drawer and reboot the computer.

Im now hoping the the bios is set to boot from cd,if this is-you will Memtest at work,let this run for at least 10 steps.

I am Spartacus 21:35 10 Jul 2008

I would try resetting the BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and/or using the reset jumpers (details should be in the manual).

Then if you can get into BIOS after that look for a 'Load default settings' option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?