CPU SLOWDOWN PROBLEM

Star Lord 20:54 01 Jan 2011

I hope someone can help,

My PC seems to go into a form of a sleep mode every now and then.

I can see my desktop and move the mouse curser about at normal speed, but when I double click the icons on the desktop icons nothing happens. The pc goes into this state for some time, this can last an hour or two.

I’m not sure what is wrong or how to fix it. It should not do this as it is supposed to be a pretty good machine. When it is in this state it shows the CPU working at 1 or 2 percentage.
Does anyone have any idea as to why the CPU slows down? It’s not like I am multitasking and it is draining the CPU and RAM. Most of the time I’m just web browsing.

The only thing I can open when it goes into this mode is Task Manager and in the application window it shows no other software running apart from the browser which is not responding.

This problem does not only happen when I am web browsing it can happen anytime.

Operating System -MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 805 41 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology

GaT7 21:06 01 Jan 2011

Do a System File Checker scan - click here for instructions. Not a guaranteed fix, but might help if one or two files are corrupted.

Also, if you have hibernation enabled, I'd suggest to disable & turn it off completely & see how it goes - click here for instructions. G

gengiscant 21:06 01 Jan 2011

You do not give many details.
How much RAM for instance.
have you run scans for Malware?
What size Harddrive?

Star Lord 21:25 01 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
I've disabled the hibernation, I hope this was the problem.

gengiscant
I've run the virus checkers and MalwareBytes and found nothing. Hard drive is 1 terabyte. the ram is low 2G I know it should be more. But it has not been a problem in the past. I monitor the ram and CPU and its only a problem when the CPU drops and i could be running the basic of programs.

GaT7 22:14 01 Jan 2011

Another feature AMD CPUs use is Cool'n'Quiet technology click here. So perhaps one more thing to consider disabling (click here) if the problem recurs. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires