CPU running at 80-100% even when idle

zero1 22:39 22 May 2007

System: Microsoft Windows Home Edition
Service Pack 2
iQon Technologies
Intel Celeron CPU 293GHZ
480MB RAM
Zone Alarm Security Suite

System hangs, stalls and freezes. Task Manager shows 80-100% (fluctuating) CPU usage even when idle. Software Applications not working properly especially Media Applications (WMP11, Bitcomet, Itunes etc.)
Thought I might have a Virus, have tried:
Zone Alarm anti-virus
System mechanic 6
Ad-Aware Home
Spybot Search & Destroy
Trojan Hunter
Spyware Detector
Windows Defender
Have also tried:
System Restore
Disk Check
Disk Defragmentation

Nothing works, Bootup time takes 10-15 minutes on a good day, have disabled all unnecessary start up programs. Also have lost F Keys on boot (f8 Safe Mode, f10 restore to factory settings etc).
Help!

birdface 22:43 22 May 2007

What programs are running in Task Manager when idle.

birdface 22:49 22 May 2007

There have been problems with Zone Alarm recently.If no one comes up with a better solution,Delete Zone Alarm run C Cleaner and then reinstall Zone Alarm.Also remove Microsoft automatic up-dates,And run them manually.

zero1 22:55 22 May 2007

Zone Alarm 200,000 K
Explorer 25,000 K

and normal system aplications < 5,000 K each

birdface 23:01 22 May 2007

Hi, Is that under CPU or Memory usage.What is it under CPU.

zero1 23:06 22 May 2007

Sorry under CPU shows
Zone alarm 36 - 91 (constantly fluctuating)
Everything else fairlt stable 00 -06

birdface 23:11 22 May 2007

I use avg,and it is just about the same as yours using anything between 42 and 98%,So obviously Zone Alarm must be doing a scan or something like that,Are you using the new version of Zone Alarm.

zero1 23:18 22 May 2007

Hi

Zone Alarm is not doing a scan. have just disabled it and useage hasn't changed.

Zone Alarm is completely up to date, purchased last year 2006 brand new.

birdface 23:24 22 May 2007

Sorry the problem was with there Firewall.If you are not doing a scan and it is using up the CPU.I would think of using my first solution And delete Zone Alarm,Running C Cleaner and then reinstall Zone Alarm.Probably like mine your computer probably needs up-grading.I run my Anti-Virus when I want to,Usually when going for dinner or going out,Maybe someone will come up with a better solution,so better to wait and see.

zero1 23:24 22 May 2007

Forgot to add

No matter what application I use (WMP,ITunes etc) CPU shoots to 100%

birdface 23:33 22 May 2007

Likewise.If I try and run anything when I am using AVG CPU usage goes up to 100% Not a lot that you can do about it without up-grading.Your problem looks as though its with Zone Alarm.Like I said ,it was the Firewall that was causing the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?