CPU removal problems

Scubaman 18:20 20 Sep 2011

I am replaceing a faulty mobo and on removing the heatsink I notice that the CPU is stuck fast to it and has come out without releasing the lock lever on the board. Can I refit the CPU and heatsink without damaging the CPU?

spuds 19:07 20 Sep 2011

Are all the contact lugs intact?.

Scubaman 08:45 21 Sep 2011

Yes all contact lugs are ok.

gengiscant 09:20 21 Sep 2011

You can pry the CPU away from the heatsink, but do it gently, this will enable you to put fresh thermal paste which is definitely needed. I am guessing at a socket 939 or 775,certainly an older CPU as this has happened to me in the past and if I remember correctly is because I used far to much thermal paste, but as long as you are careful its a simple process to separate CPU and heatsink.

onthelimit1 09:40 21 Sep 2011

But clean the old paste off both surfaces first (the recommenced stuff is isopropyl alcohol, but other spirits seem to work OK).

gengiscant 09:41 21 Sep 2011

A drop of aftershave on a soft cloth works just as well.

Belatucadrus 16:23 21 Sep 2011

I think you'll find it very hard to replace the CPU while still attached to the heat sink, I had the same problem a few years ago and the body of the heatsink pushed the locking lever closed before I could get the CPU in and I couldn't get the pins in with the lever down. I had to remove the cpu, clean it, reinstall properly with Ceramique thermal compound. Worked happily for many years after that. When using products like aftershave or nail varnish remover make sure they do not contain lanolin as that defeats the purpose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?