CPU Power Readings

23790954 20:41 28 Sep 2007

Hi! there,
Can any computer expert out there, assist me with the following query:
My computer system consists of :
Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI motherboard:
AMD 64 3800+ processor:
1.5 gig of DDR memory.
As it has appeared to be running very slowly lately, I tested my Processor Power by way of a reliable, recommended software.
Remebering my processor is an AMD 64 3800+, it is presently running at a speed of 1970mhz which drops with use to below 1800 mhz. Can someone advise me on how fast the CPU should be running, and if it running slow, how to correct it.
I have ample fans - 2 case fans in at front:
2 case fans out at rear. If there is a fault would it likely to be PCU or motherboard.
Thanks for any advice posted.

Technotiger 20:54 28 Sep 2007

Your CPU speed looks just about right to me. I have a AMD 3000+ (2 Ghz) which runs at 1.81Ghz, so your AMD 2800+ (2.4Ghz) running at 1.97Ghz is not far off the mark. I don't think they ever run exactly at published speeds.

I am Spartacus 20:57 28 Sep 2007

Shouldn't it be running at 2.40GHz?

Technotiger 20:58 28 Sep 2007

What can severely slow things down, is anything in Processes hogging the CPU - for instance if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader8 the Adobe update process can hog up to 98% of the CPU. Have a look in processes and see if anything is taking up more than its fair share.

Quiller. 21:05 28 Sep 2007

it should be running at 2.4ghz.

Right click my computer, properties. What speed is it showing for the cpu?

it will have power now or cool and quiet enabled. it will only run at full speed under load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?