CPU overheating

Narayan Adhikari 17:24 08 Mar 2006

My Toshiba laptop shuts abruptly down (power off) sometimes, without any warnings or stop error, during operation. it starts up back after sometimes. It's a P4 chip. My friend's similar model (celeron chip) also behaves the same way. Could this be because of processor overheating? Can I replace the better (mobile?) CPU for these laptops to solve the problem? Any suggestion will be warmly welcomed.

€dstowe 18:41 08 Mar 2006

Are the cooling fans operating correctly? Is there free airflow around the ventilation holes on the machine?

My secretary had a problem with a laptop overheating because she used it mounted on a soft foam pad which deformed sufficiently to block the vents and stop the flow of cool air through the machine.

Narayan Adhikari 01:04 10 Mar 2006

there is proper air circulation and not any sort of blockade. coul the problem be in something else thancpu overheating? what causes such sudden complete shutdown?

Narayan Adhikari 07:49 21 Mar 2006

Anymore thought/help on this subject?
Thanks

961 09:21 21 Mar 2006

Why not download SisoftSandra Everest or Belarc so that you can monitor cpu temps for a while?

blodgett 09:22 21 Mar 2006

Hi
An option is to sit your laptop on a Lapcool 2. Browse Google for suppliers,approx £25. They keep my laptops very cool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?