CPU - Monitor on standby

Kona N 16:57 04 Aug 2007

Hi

I currently have a dell precision workstation 340 and have decided to upgrade for university as im studying product design so i need it to be more powerful.

At the moment the stats are like this:

Ram: 1GB
Chipset: intel i850
Video card: 128mb radeon 9550 - AGP
CPU: Intel P4 2GHz 400MHz Skt 478 mPGA

Power supply output: 230
Monitor type: Dell E772p

I decided to upgrade with an intel P4 3.0GHz 800MHz cpu but when i put it in my machine and start it up the monitor just stays in standby mode with the little light glowing orange. the machine starts up and everything seems like its working but its just the monitor does not turn on.

Does anyone have any idea of what i can do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

X™ 17:33 04 Aug 2007

It's not working, it's not booting at all. What motherboard does it have? The motherboard might not even be abale to take the 3GHZ CPU. THe Side Bus might be too high.

One thing you might be able to do is reset the BIOS, pull out the battery for 10mins and then turn the PC on without it.

I don't think it'll work though.

Sorry.

Kona N 18:00 04 Aug 2007

Hi

thanks for the reply

the computer boots and starts running but the screen just doesnt turn on. It just sits in standby mode but when i place the old 2.0ghz cpu in it starts working again. At first i though it was because the new cpu was 800mhz and the old one was 400 but still im not sure?

how so i found out what the side bus is?

Thanks

X™ 23:07 04 Aug 2007

No, no. Your CPU is 3000MHZ/3GHZ the side bus is 800MHZ, and the old is 400MHZ.

This is why it doesn't work, the CPU is to good for the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?