CPU lever snapped off

joolzski 20:10 31 May 2009

Hi, i have trawled this site for any help regarding this problem, but have not found anything as yet. Apologies if this has been covered allready.

My problem is: I removed my fan to clean it and then also the heat sink which pulled out the CPU. Ooops. I removed the CPU from the heat sink and then replaced the cpu not knowing that i had to release the lever which holds in the cpu, unfortunately a few pins were bent which i have straightened out. When i released the lever to replace the cpu somehow i accidently snapped off the lever and now cannot tighten it down. My question is "Can i replace the socket or do i need to replace the Motherboard and processor?"

Obviously my computer will not start up and the monitor says no signal. I think i have completely ballsed this up.

Please any suggestions on how i need to go about this?????

Thanks.

karmgord 20:31 31 May 2009

no way will you be able to replace the socket,looks like a new mb to me,seems to me you might be a little "heavy handed" so be careful when installing a new mb.

ton 20:31 31 May 2009

The CPU should, I would have thought, work without the lever, IF the pins are ok.

But if you have no luck then I'm afraid you will need a new m/board.

I think the cost of a repair, plus maybe a new CPU will be not practical.

retep888 20:39 31 May 2009

What mobo have you got?

joolzski 20:41 31 May 2009

Yes i think i was a little heavy handed.
The cpu doesnt seem to work without tightening it down unfortunately. Surely its not much to repair.
If it does need a new MB i think i will upgrade it and also a faster processor if i need one of these also. I will have to search the internet on guides showing me how to install a new MB.

joolzski 20:45 31 May 2009

not sure of the MB. Its a pc at least 6yrs or more old. I think its a pcmt5 microstar

retep888 20:52 31 May 2009

click here
Download and run this,it'll tell you what your system board is.You can probably pick one up on ebay for a few quids.

woodchip 21:03 31 May 2009

Have you tried using a small flat blade screwdriver to turn it to lock

joolzski 21:12 31 May 2009

sorry turn what to lock? and also my computer doesnt start so i cannot download and run the check on my pc. Im on a laptop at the moment

laurie53 21:17 31 May 2009

At 6 years old you really should think about a new one if you can run to it.

joolzski 21:20 31 May 2009

6rs old it still runs like new i have no problem with its performance so definately dont need to shell out loads of money on a new one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?