CPU and graphics upgrades for Vista 64

Krisps 21:34 16 Apr 2007

Having upgraded to Vista 64 Ultimate, I have a system bought 18 months ago with the aim of being future proof, but as usual the future arrives quicker than you expect.

CPU is AMD 64 Bit 3500 socket 939 running at 2.25ghz

Graphics card is Sapphire Radeon X800L with 256mb

I have 2gb RAM DDR 400

Storage is not a problem with 2 x 200gb internal discs plus a 200gb external for backups.

I am seriously tempted to upgrade the CPU and Garphics card, but am subject to the restrictions of a socket 939 motherboard which seems to rule out cards designed to run on socket AM2 for instance. Dual core CPUs look tempting and directX10 graphics cards with 762mb and loads of XXXs in the title look exciting but my funds are not unlimited!

Any thoughts on cost effective upgrades and the likely increases in performance.

As an aside, it sems to me some bright company could well benefit by offering a service where they download an advisor tool that examines your compuuter and recommends upgrades which we may then well buy, or does anyone know of such a site already?

pckrisp44

ArrGee 21:58 16 Apr 2007

Post this in the Vista forum, where you'll probably get a few more responses.

Personally I'd stick with XP for at least another few months!

citadel 22:06 16 Apr 2007

it is not worth upgrading unless you are getting a new motherboard core2 duo, ddr2, and a dx10 card. if you want amd their new stuff will be out sometime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?