CPU Go Bang!

dumb_haddik 20:30 26 Feb 2006

I Have a rather large prblem with my PC. It seems that if I leave it on for too long. It restarts.

I believe that this is a form of CPU overheating, as i have been monitoring cpu temperature in my bios, and it can reach up to 58 Centigrade in there.

The air from the PSU is hand-hot too, and i have tried moving my pc away from the wall.

TELL ME, IS MY PC DOOMED?

P.S. I have an athlon 64 2600+ running at about 2100

PPS. Every time I turn my PC on, i get a message saying the system has recovered from a serious error. This is NOT anything to do with the other problem, as I run a dual boot system, and i only face problems with one operating system. (It Is Not A Virus Either) PLEASE ADVISE

Haddock.

howard63 20:34 26 Feb 2006

open the case and get all the dust and hair etc out of it. Now start up and see if the fan on the cpu is running. A replacement fan is about £10 if that is the proplem.

Totally-braindead 20:36 26 Feb 2006

58 is a little bit high but the not fantastically so, my 2500 ran at between 40 and 55 degrees. The processor won't blow till about 80 degrees. I think the first thing to check is that all the fans are running.

dumb_haddik 20:38 26 Feb 2006

I have opened up my computer many times to have a look, and take gret pride in removing the dust. The CPU fan is absolutely fine.

However... on my other custom built computer, the case came with a mounted fam which plugged into the PSU, as well as the actual PSU fan itself.

Please tell me, do these little case fans make a difference, as i have seen them for £7 and often thought that was a bit cheap to be making a real difference to the temperature.

boomhauer 20:47 26 Feb 2006

ive had the same problem before, turned out to be a faulty psu.
if you have spare components might be an idea to try replacing pparts and eliminating potential causes like the psu and graphics card.

also ive never found adding lots of fans to make a huge difference other than to add noise.

howard63 20:47 26 Feb 2006

if it is an overheating prob anything is better than nothing - I always fit at least 1 additional case fan when I build a pc.

dumb_haddik 20:49 26 Feb 2006

Can Anyone Reccommend A Good Replacement PSU For My System?

ed-0 21:01 26 Feb 2006

Are you overclocking the cpu. Is it a sempron 64bit 2600+. If it is then it should run at either 1.6Ghz or 1.833Ghz. This might explain " Every time I turn my PC on, i get a message saying the system has recovered from a serious error." and the slightly warmer cpu.

dumb_haddik 18:59 27 Feb 2006

I am not overclocking this cpu, i bought it already custom-built from a dealer in a mag, but i am pretty sure it is an Athlon.

In the control panel system screen it says:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
2.08 GHz, 512mb of Ram

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 27 Feb 2006

58 degrees warm but not bad

fit a rear case fan to suck air across the board from the front £2 from computer shops.

sounds more like PSU on its way out.

961 19:17 27 Feb 2006

Your problem is not temperature. 58 is fine

The cpu is clocked too fast. as above it should be 1.833

The settings on one o/s are wrong

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?