CPU Fan Off for cleaning

birdface 13:25 16 Feb 2009

Hi.Just remembered that I took the CPU fan off last year to clean it then put it back on.
The problem is should I have put any type of paste on it when I put it back on.
It was just the fan that was removed and i did not notice any paste or grease on it when I had it off.
I find that when running most security programs now that it uses about 70-100% of the CPU.
I have upgraded the Memory from 512Mb to 2Gb.
But back to the question should I have put anything on it.If so what do you recommend.

dartx10 13:39 16 Feb 2009

shuld not have efected it to my nolige but you cold try some grease is it sticking or somthing
if it is that wold be wour beat bet if not thin it shold not efect the cpu

sunnystaines 13:40 16 Feb 2009

in theory yes but if it was fitted with a pad instead of smearing paste you can get away with removing the fan and replacing it sometimes but not always.

sunnystaines 13:41 16 Feb 2009

if not happy remove fan, remove old paste with remover and apply new paste.

MAJ 13:47 16 Feb 2009

The fan itself wont have any paste or pad on it, but if you removed the heatsink, then yes you'll need to have replaced the termal paste or pad. As it's been a year since you removed and cleaned the fan, then it should be okay now as you would have noticed problems before now.
Not replacing the termal paste on the heatsink would have caused overheating problems, crashes and system instability for example, not excessive CPU usage.

birdface 13:59 16 Feb 2009

Ok thanks folk.As far as I remember it was just the Fan.But will have a good look tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017