CPU fan

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm in the process of upgrading my 1gb athlon computer.

I've just bought an AMD ATHLON 5200+ X2 cpu. It did not come with a fan, I was wondering if I could use the fan I have now. Would it be cool enough?

Anyway thanks for any advice.

mike

skidzy 21:51 17 Jul 2007

Will your mobo handle the new chip ?
I wouldnt have thought so if it only had 1GHZ chip.

Though i do stand to be corrected.

Can you post your motherboard details please.

I'll be getting a new motherboard and I've just bought a 1gb of ram (pc2 6400).

I'm not really sure which motherboard to buy, there seems to be a lot to choose from, not too sure which is the best. I don't want to spend more than £60.

skidzy 22:12 17 Jul 2007

Have a look at click here and click here

Your main issue now having bought the ram,is it may well turn out to be non-compatitible with your choice of mobo.

Sometimes its better to buy a mobo bundle.

I think I might have been better off buying a motherboard bundle, at least I would have know everything worked together. I'll have to be careful when choosing the motherboard.

skidzy 22:46 17 Jul 2007

Sorry Mike,hopefully everything will work out ok for you.

Totally-braindead 18:24 18 Jul 2007

The fan for a 1 ghz chip will not do for the processor you have bought and neither would the heatsink, you'll have to buy a heatsink and fan suitable for the processor you have.

^^ thanks, I was tempted to try it, but it would be a stupid risk, I'll buy a new one.

soldatengrab 11:11 23 Jul 2007

I have one of these installed

click here

You can pick one up from almost anywhere for fifteen pounds or less. I have attached a fan speed controller (about 3-4 quid, you can even make your own if you are technically minded), and my computer is now almost silent, whilst still a good twenty degrees cooler than the stock AMD cooler. The fan itself also has no problem with fitting any AMD CPU socket (They do a pentium model too), and at full speed its still less intrusive than the stock.

Its the best purchase you can get by far, without spending fifty quid plus, and even superior to some of those. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?