CPU fan

slowtype 15:08 31 Mar 2005

Since installing a Jeantech 500w Psu in my Advent T9000 P4 3 GHz 512mb ram Geforce 6600 the cpu fan has been going crazy when under any kind of stress.

any help appreciated.

rubella 15:33 31 Mar 2005

My guess is your new PSU isn't up to the task, despite the rating in watts.

click here

slowtype 17:59 31 Mar 2005

Sorry if I'm being thick but why would the CPU fan spin more often if the power supply isn't up to the job?

rubella 18:39 31 Mar 2005

slowtype, hi

I doubt it, as I said it was a guess, I can’t imagine why either. But as I can think of nothing else, I’d try switching it with another one.

Given the effect manifests itself under “any” kind of stress, it seems a good systematic starting point. In the absence of the term “any” I would suspect something was configured incorrectly, or perhaps a chipset driver was corrupted.

It might even transpire to be something basic that’s been overlooked like a dust clogged CPU cooler under the fan.

:-)

slimbo51 19:09 31 Mar 2005

Could just be the H/Sink to proc thermal grease is not making contact correctly or its dried out, and the the proc is overheating and ramping up the cpu fan speed to try and cool it.

Does your M/Board have varible fan speed control for the CPU....?

slimbo51 19:12 31 Mar 2005

The Change of PSU may be a red herring apart from the fact of taking the old one out and fitting a new one in, has disturbed the M/Board and broke the H/Sink seal.

slowtype 13:18 28 Apr 2005

Thanks to all who helped but the noise couldn't be found be 3 engineers so in the end they replaced the whole computer.

rubella 15:27 28 Apr 2005

slowtype, hola

Thanks for that. Glad you’ve solved it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?