CPU Cooling Advice

NickJH 14:52 25 Sep 2010

Hi,
I was passed on an older PC built round an Intel D865PERL m/b. In order to quieten it down, I fitted an older relatively quiet power supply and an Arctic Freezer 4 CPU cooler but I've been disappointed. Reading the m/b manual closely, there is no speed control on the m/b for the cpu fan, but there is for the two case fan connections. This means the CPU fan runs at full speed even when the PC is in power saving mode. As far as I can make out the reason there is no speed control on the m/b is that the stock cooler has a temperature sensitive fan.

What is the best course of action now? Is there a temperature sensitive fan/cooler I could use, should I re-fit the original cooler or can I safely connect the Freezer 4 fan to the case fan connector?

FWIW the CPU is a 2800MHz Pentium 4 with the Northwood core

citadel 16:33 25 Sep 2010

i use a zalman fan mate 2, just turn it up when gaming down when surfing.

NickJH 17:54 25 Sep 2010

I'd love something I could fit and forget and that would shut itself off when the PC goes into standby.

What about the idea of plugging the cpu cooler into a case fan connector?

Dark Mantis 15:50 26 Sep 2010

No reason why not but you would need to monitor the temperatures. Even so I doubt that the case fan controller is thermal.

NickJH 17:19 26 Sep 2010

The case fan controller claims to be thermal. The BIOS even gives you the option of setting the minimum speed to 0 or 350rpm. I'll grab myself a copy of speedfan to monitor the temperature and then give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?