cpu cooling

gremlin826 11:39 03 Jul 2005

I have just upgraded my CPU to an Athlon 64 3500+. Although the fan that came with it was adequate I decided to change it. The reason being that I may want to `overclock` it in the near future. I have tried three alternatives around the £30 mark but none of them seem to make much difference and are loud (41db at 4500rpm). Can anyone suggest either a quiet cpu fan or a more efficient way of cooling the cpu (water cooling perhaps)

Klof Ron 12:07 03 Jul 2005

Have you installed and configured the "cool 'n' quiet" drivers, these are able to achieve a significant temperature reduction.

freaky 12:39 03 Jul 2005

I have the same chip as yourself, it is mounted on an Asus A8V Deluxe MOB. This board incorporates "cool 'n' quiet" technology which means that the fan speed varies according to the load on the CPU. It is very quiet in operation. You need to check your MOB specification to see if it incorporates this technology.

I needed a new CPU fan for my older PC recently, went into a Comp' Shop next to PCWorld and they were selling a CPU Fan that was thermostatically controlled complete with heatsink for £20. As this particular PC is 4 years old I bought a new Fan from E-buyer for £7......Coolmaster, it is very quiet.

961 15:17 03 Jul 2005

May I ask what temperature the cpu was running at with the original fan?

rubella 15:35 03 Jul 2005

Papst are well known for making some of the quietest fans available. I take a different track and use big Delta Black labels. These are the complete antithesis to Papst, being some of the most raucous fans out there. However, they are very well made and shift a great deal of air [CFM] for a given dB level. So, when I attenuate a Delta to a volume comparable with an alternative, I am shifting more air than the alternative one will.

gremlin826 17:29 03 Jul 2005

original temp of the cpu was 38-40 degrees

djbenny 18:00 03 Jul 2005

i've heard these are very good

click here

961 19:22 03 Jul 2005

If your cpu was running at 38/40 then I would suggest you can overclock without difficulty using the original fan. AMD approved fans have a large safety margin and your cpu can probably run safely at twice the temperature you currently get without difficulty

freaky 19:41 03 Jul 2005

If I remember correctly from the last time I visited the AMD website, the Athlon 64 3500+ has a maximum core temperature of 90C. Therefore the temperature you were running at with your existing fan was well within the limits.

A point to remember regarding CPU temperature, is running at too low a temp' could in fact impair it's performance. A similar analogy applies to vehicle engines; if the thermostat is set too low then performance will suffer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?