CPU Cooler?..

BaboonBoy22 17:17 30 Dec 2008

I've just got a Core 2 Quad.. and I'm looking to get a cooler for it. Is there one in particular that is being raved about?
From the looks of it the most popular one seems to be the Zalman CNPS9700 LED, but I'm not so sure about the "Fan Mate" control that comes with it.

Can anyone suggest anything?

MarvintheAndroid 17:35 30 Dec 2008

The Zalman coolers are good but expensive. I prefer Arctic Cooling. The Freezer 7 Pro should do what you want. Don't be put off by the low price, these things rock !

click here!

click here

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 17:40 30 Dec 2008

Sorry. Linky went wrong. Product number LN13080 on Scan Computers.

Marv

citadel 18:23 30 Dec 2008

I have an arctic cooling freezer extreme and it is good. core2 duo 8400 is at 17C idle.
on my other pc I have a zalman, the fan mate works well you have the control unit outside the pc, just turn it down to zero and turn it up when doing something demading like games etc.

mrwoowoo 19:28 30 Dec 2008

Do you know if the fan mate would be compatable with the arctic cooling freezer pro.
I suspect not.
The reason i ask is that my cooler runs flat out when the pc starts up.The only way to get it back to normal speed is to power down and then restart the pc.

MarvintheAndroid 21:26 30 Dec 2008

The Fan-Mate can be used to reduce the speed of any fan with a 3 pin connector. Won't work with PWM fans though, these have 4 pin connectors and are speed controlled by the motherboard.

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 21:28 30 Dec 2008

BTW mrwoowoo, I have the similar Freezer 64 and it also runs at full speed during boot up, however the BIOS will reduce the speed over the first 30 seconds or so. By the time the system has booted it is whisper quiet.

Perhaps you need to check the settings in your BIOS.

Marv

mrwoowoo 23:55 30 Dec 2008

Thanks for the advice.
I'll have a look into it and let you know.

BaboonBoy22 16:30 31 Dec 2008

Thanks for all the replies.
I've gone for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
It was hard to draw myself away from all the pretty ones with lights. And God Dam some of them are HUGE!
Everytime I'm looking to purchase a HSF I swear they have doubled in size since the last time.
Strange to think that all technology is getting smaller and smaller and yet these are getting bigger.. lol
If only I could afford one of these bad boys!
click here

mrwoowoo 23:31 07 Jan 2009

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
It was indeed a setting in the bios. ((O:!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017