CPU Cooler ?

Technonot 15:08 27 Jan 2004

The small fan which is connected to the CPU of my Pentium 2 400MHz Pc has become noisy when powering the PC up, will I be able to easily obtain and fit a replacement(it appears to be held in by 4 screws)?.

Jester2K 15:13 27 Jan 2004

I have found Maplins to be a useful source for assorted fans. I've replaced two using the exact method you describe.

DRiM 15:16 27 Jan 2004

The four screws probably fix it to the large heat dissipating element, lots of fins and airspaces on it.

Its a good idea to take it all off and get rid of all the dust that accumulates, this can make a big difference.

if you need a new fan, you might get one complete with the heat dissipation component, make absolutely sure you fix it (using the sprung clips) the right way round. There will be a raised section on the base of the CPU, and a corresponding lowered section on the fan unit.

If they are not the right way round it doesn't make contact and dissipate the heat properly, leading to overheat.

DRiM

LastChip 15:17 27 Jan 2004

Just unplug the fan and remove the screws.

Three things!

Do it NOW before your fan seizes up and destroys your processor.

DO NOT under any circumstances run the machine without the fan fitted AND connected.

Be careful to make sure you fit the fan the correct way around.

Technonot 15:23 27 Jan 2004

Thanks for the input, if I have to remove the large Pentium 2 unit due to lack of space in removing the screws, is this easily done ?.

LastChip 15:43 27 Jan 2004

You will probably find some sort of heat transfer medium has been applied between the CPU and heat-sink. This can be a paste or a patch, but it tends to "glue" the heat-sink to the CPU.

They will come apart OK, but patience and a gentle twisting motion is probably all that is required. Resist any temptation to use brute force. This will only lead to CPU damage. You will also need a further patch or paste (compound) to put the heat-sink back and ensure proper heat transference. It is just possible, the above is not true, as I have come across machines where no medium has been used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?