CPU -Again

Eddieok666 21:02 31 Jan 2005

Thanks for the reply to my AMD cpu question the other day. One more point ?
What is the difference between 'OEM' and 'retail boxed' which are different prices for the same thing . Any pros/cons

Thanks
Eddie

Totally-braindead 21:14 31 Jan 2005

Regarding CPUs retail boxed means it comes with a 3 year guarantee, providing its installed properly of course, mind you proving that might be interesting. Retailed boxed CPUs usually come with a heatsink and fan, OEM do not so you'd have to buy one, also OEM have very little packaging whereas retail will be nicely packed.

Totally-braindead 21:20 31 Jan 2005

I'd go for the retail boxed one because its packaged better, less chance of damage during transport and no chance of someone having their mucky paws all over it as its factory sealed, heatsink and fan are good quality heavy duty ones whereas if you buy a heatsink and fan and you don't know what your buying you can end up destroying your CPU or simply getting the wrong thing and it comes with thermal paste already set on the heatsink for installing on top of your CPU so you don't have to buy any although most heatsinks come with thermal paste anyway. And I forgot to mention it comes with clear concise and easy to follow instructions which the OEM one doesn't.

Totally-braindead 21:23 31 Jan 2005

Have a glance at this for an idea of prices click here but check exactly what your getting before you buy.

Totally-braindead 21:35 31 Jan 2005

Sorry its only me replying so far but I keep thinking of other things- the 3 year guarantee I mentioned originally was with an AMD processor as were my other comments, I have no knowledge of what the difference is with Intel chips.

josie mayhem 21:49 31 Jan 2005

You get the same with intel retail box as you do with AMD.

Personely would go for a retail box, then you know that the heatshink and fan is the correct one for your processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?