C;\Program File\Internet loads without loading?

missjosy 14:42 03 Feb 2006

The operating system is XP Home.

For some strange reason, the Folder C:\ Program Files\ Internet, appears on the screen after Desktop has loaded.

I have not had any problems with the PC, so I am at loss as why the INTERNET file loads without prompting.

BurrWalnut 14:47 03 Feb 2006

Here are 2 things to check :-
Check in Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View that "Restore Previous Folder Windows On Login" is unchecked.

Also, after every login your profile is loaded into the registry and a certain number of programs are started from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run tree. When Windows is unable to load a particular program, say, the path of the program doesn't exist anymore, it sometimes opens up the C:\Program Files folder by default.
To solve it, Start, Run, regedit and navigate to the above tree and check if every value is known to you.

Then do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

missjosy 14:48 03 Feb 2006

Sorry!!
That that should read, 'loads without prompting'.

missjosy 14:50 03 Feb 2006

BurrWalnut.
Ta!

missjosy 15:13 03 Feb 2006

BurrWalnut.

Yes, the 'Restore Previous Folder' option was unchecked.

Checked the registry and found:
H KEY _ CURRENT USER I could not identify one item:
DEFAULT REG_SZ (value not set)

H KEY LOCAL MACHINE.
DEFAULT REG_SZ (value not set)

BurrWalnut 15:26 03 Feb 2006

In both keys was there anything underneath DEFAULT REG_SZ (value not set)?

Normally one would expect to see references to items appearing in the system tray (bottom right of screen), e.g. AV software and the like. Most of them will be in the Local_Machine key.

missjosy 15:38 03 Feb 2006

BurrWalnut.
Under CURRENT was, C.Cleaner, and Internet sweeper. The last item was Windows\System32\ CTF mon.exe

Under LOCAL, was Qurb. Antispam (softeware) and Zone Labs.

BurrWalnut 15:45 03 Feb 2006

I don't know Internet Sweeper, is that the Program Files folder that opens upon booting?

If it is, go to Start, Run, Msconfig, Startup Tab and remove the tick alongside it. I think you could also remove Ccleaner as it normally starts by right-clicking the Recycle Bin.

missjosy 15:47 03 Feb 2006

I shall do as you say, and see how it goes.

missjosy 15:57 03 Feb 2006

Hi BurrWalnut.

I unchecked Internet Sweeper in MSCONFIG. Startup.
My brother installed both C Cleaner and Internet Sweeper at the same time. Not sure why, as both seem to do the same job!

Anyway. Good news!
IT has solved the problem.

My sincere thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?