Cows with a load of Bull

benloui 20:56 09 Aug 2004

Hi every body this is my first attempt at a web site, I have no previous experience and opened Front page one day to try and do a favour for my boss and this is what I came up with. Please be completely honest with me and give me your opinions on it. You can find it at click here I would like to contain the information shown on it within a frame like click here but dont know how , any help would be great.

Forum Editor 23:18 09 Aug 2004

you've produced a good site, and I must especially congratulate you on the quality of the images.

There are a few points worth mentioning:-

1. It's never a good idea to publish home and mobile telephone numbers on the internet.

2. You would find that the readability factor of the text would improve if you used a sans serif font - my personal favourite is Verdana.

3. On web sites people perceive anything that's underlined as a hyperlink.

4. Rather than 'New page1' why not give your page files a meaningful title? "New page1 - Microsoft Internet Explorer" doesn't look very professional at the top of a browser window.

5. You'll achieve a more professional look to your layout if you remove the table borders - and increase both cell padding and cell spacing to around 4. That way the text won't looked as if it's crammed up against the side of the images.

6. Why not use FrontPage navigation buttons instead of just text? In any event, small caps for navigation links are difficult to read - plain text in bold would lok better, but nav buttons would be better still.

7. There's no 'Home' button - you need one on every page. I'm not sure why you have 'site index' at the top of the nav panel - it doesn't do anything.

8. Bring the navigation links/buttons closer together, so the browser doesn't have to insert a scroll bar.

I'm no lover of frames - I think they look old-fashioned. Much better to lay the site out with shared borders and tables - you'll have more versatility and the whole thing would look better.

Don't be in any way disheartened by all this - you've produced a site that most beginners would be proud of. With a little more work you could improve the site no end, and I think it might be worth experimenting with some of my suggestions.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?