Cover scratch on TFT monitor

rawprawn 10:17 23 Nov 2005

I'm sure I once saw a tip on how to do this but I can't find the answer in search. I have a small (but long) scratch on my 3 month old monitor. Any suggestions?

Pine Man 11:39 23 Nov 2005

I assume the monitor is plastic so the best way is to use fine wet&dry paper from somewhere like Halfords and then, continually dipping in water, rub the area of the scratch gently until it disappears. If it is a very light scratch use 'T' Cut, once again from Halfords.

This is the method that UPVC window fitters use and it certainly works

rawprawn 11:42 23 Nov 2005

Thanks for that, I'm almost certain it was T cut that I saw recommended. I will get some and try.

David4637 13:39 23 Nov 2005

I assume the monitor has a rigid plastic screen rather than its a LCD screen. If its the former T cut is worth trying before resorting to wet & dry. I would recommend next Jewelers Rouge before using wet & dry. David

freaky 16:07 23 Nov 2005

Be extremely careful with what you use to remove a scratch from your monitor especially a TFT !!

They have a very delicate surface, and you could cause more damage.

You need to research before you try DIY !

rawprawn 16:22 23 Nov 2005

Thanks to all for the replies, it is not a bad scratch, and I can only really see it when I am booting (Shows on black XP loading) On refection I think I may be better leaving it alone.

freaky 17:57 23 Nov 2005

A wise decision, of the various materials suggested above - jewellers rouge is probably the safest.

woodchip 18:03 23 Nov 2005

your best bet is leave it you will kill it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone