A couple of questions re. image galleries/colours

Diodorus Siculus 00:57 23 Feb 2009

Hi all,

after spending the weekend preparing my site (albeit on a temporary host) I now need some advice.

Two queries:

First off, how can I best display images on these two pages: click here and click here ?

I need suggestions as to what is considered best practice for layout and so forth. I have a flickr account so can host them there if necessary. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Second issue:

What is the colour scheme like? I have no eye for such things so would like comments please.

Many thanks, Dio

Kemistri 15:26 23 Feb 2009

Are you after technical advice or design advice, Dio? In other words, what to do or how to do it? If you want inspiration for gallery layouts, this excellent blog post may help: click here

Diodorus Siculus 21:04 23 Feb 2009

A little of both I think.

What I would like is to have a series of thumbnail images, perhaps to the left of the page. When one is clicked on, it should open in the centre of the page.

Cheers, Dio

Kemistri 22:04 23 Feb 2009

I guess that you could pick a site that you like and download its HTML and CSS to learn from, although make sure that you don't go ahead and use the whole thing, obviously - it's someone else's IP after all.

However - I'm a bit concerned about what method you might be using to develop your site and the fact that you're almost certainly not yet familiar with any HTML/CSS. I don't want to push you too far out of your comfort zone, although you'll find that you need to come at least a little way out.

There is such a thing as a plugin photo gallery that you can drop into a site, but I can't speak for how easy or effective they might be, or where you might find one.

Content management systems like Joomla/Drupal/ModX are good for building galleries and don't take much skill to set up and use. The ease of use is the whole point of them, really. They need a server with support for a database though.

Diodorus Siculus 22:48 23 Feb 2009

"I guess that you could pick a site that you like and download its HTML and CSS to learn from."

That's pretty much what I've been doing so far.

"the fact that you're almost certainly not yet familiar with any HTML/CSS"

A polite way of say it :)

I've been looking at some CMS - I'll see what they can do.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?