A couple of questions about "dongles"

  Fleetblue 15:45 04 Feb 2013

I have 2 PC's, one running Windows 8, The other running Vista. They are in different rooms in the house. I am connected to the internet with Virgin Broadband and I have a Virgin Mini-Hub. On the Vista PC, which is 2 rooms away I cannot get the internet and have been advised by the Virgin engineer I need a "dongle". I've had a look at "dongles" on Google and I can see it's a USB connection. Fair enough I've used USB's for file transfers etc, but I take it this "dongle" is different. So my question is, bearing in mind the distance one PC is from the other, do I need a powerful "dongle". Put plainly are some "dongles" more powerful than others, and if so, how can you tell which is more powerful? Any help much appreciated.

  Forum Editor 16:19 04 Feb 2013

The dongle the engineer referred to is a USB wireless adapter, although why he thinks that it will cure the problem I don't know. Presumably your Vista PC already has a built-in wireless network adapter, and a dongle isn't likely to be any better at connecting to your wireless router.

One of the best USB wireless adapters around is the Linksys AE1000 It's not cheap, but it out-performs pretty well everything else.

  Fleetblue 16:25 04 Feb 2013

Thanks for the help and info.

  SillBill 16:27 04 Feb 2013

Sounds more like you need a Wireless Range extender.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 04 Feb 2013

Or forget wireless and use a couple of homeplugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?